Sunday, September 23, 2012

Rustic Twice-Baked Potato Casserole

This is delicious and can go with so many things! Again, I got this from pinterest (originally from The Yummy Life). This one I served with the Bourbon Street Chicken.


Rustic Twice-Baked Potato Casserole
Makes 18-20 servings (I basically cut this recipe in thirds, and we had leftovers)

5 lbs russet potatoes, baked (~12 C when chopped, so I baked about 6 small ones and had 4 C chopped)
3/4 C Greek yogurt (I used Mountain High because that's what I had on hand)
1/4 C milk
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
3/4 tsp dry ground mustard
3/4 tsp garlic powder (or 2-3 minced garlic cloves)
1/4 tsp onion powder (I forgot to buy this so I just used a little more garlic powder)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 or 2 dashes cayenne pepper (optional)
1 C green onions, chopped and divided

1. Preheat oven to 400°F and bake potatoes for 50-60 minutes, until soft when squeezed (poke holes in them first).
2. Remove and let cool completely.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Chop cool baked potatoes, skin on, into 3/4" cubes and add to large bowl.
4. In small bowl, combine yogurt, milk, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 C cheddar cheese, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and 3/4 C green onions. Stir until combined.
5. Pour mixture over potatoes and toss until mixed.
6. Transfer to sprayed 9x13" clear baking dish (I used a casserole dish that wasn't clear and it worked out fine). Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top. *At this point, you can stop, cover the dish, and refrigerate it for a day in advance. Remove from fridge a half hour before baking.*
7. Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes, until lightly browned on top and edges/bottom are visibly well-browned.
8. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining green onions on top.

We had leftovers so the next morning, I fried them in a little bit of olive oil with some shredded prosciutto (which I had leftover from the Roast Cod recipe; that prosciutto is expensive, don't let it go to waste!) for flavor.  I topped it with a little more shredded cheese and served it with scrambled eggs for breakfast! Delicious! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment