Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Black Bean Enchiladas

I just made these tonight and they turned out fantastic! VERY flavorful and tons of room for creativity too.  They can be made in the crock-pot or in the oven*.  I used the crock-pot and they were a little bit soggy, but still delicious.  I was thinking maybe next time I could do them in the crock-pot, so they can have all the flavor-mingling that makes them so tasty, then transfer them to a casserole dish and put them in the oven for a few minutes just to crisp them up. I got this recipe from pinterest, originally from theKitchn.

2010-09-15-Enchiladas1.jpg

Black Bean Enchiladas
Serves 4-6

1/2 yellow onion, diced small
1/2 bell pepper, diced small
1 16-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 C frozen corn (I used fresh corn on the cob from the local farmer's market and stripped off the kernels :))
2 tsp chili powder (more if you want it hotter!)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt (I'd add a little more next time; I had to add some salt once it was on my plate)
1 C leftover meat of any kind (optional) (shrimp may be delicious too!)

1 1/2 C cheese, shredded (I used cheddar, Monterey Jack would be delicious; I used about 2-2 1/2 C)
2 16-oz jars salsa
12 6"-8" tortillas (I used some of each because that's what I had)

1. In medium bowl, mix together onion, pepper, beans, corn, spices, meat, and 1/2 C cheese.
2. Pour about a cup of salsa (half a jar) into bottom of slow cooker and spread around evenly.
3. Scoop about 1/2 C of bean mixture into a tortilla, roll it up, and nestle it in bottom of crock-pot. Repeat, rolling and nestling tortillas until bottom of crock-pot is covered.
4. Spread another cup of salsa over this layer and sprinkle with another 1/2 C of cheese.
5. Create a second layer of filled and rolled tortillas (I did a couple more layers). Top with another layer of salsa, but reserve cheese for final, top layer until towards the end of cooking time.
6. Place lid on crock-pot and cook on HIGH for 2-4 hours.
7. In last 15 minutes of cooking, sprinkle reserved cheese over top and let it melt.
8. Serve enchiladas with salsa and limes!

*To cook in oven, layer rolled tortillas in 9x13 baking pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes.

We had these with a salad... there's lots leftover, so we'll enjoy them again tomorrow... actually my husband just informed me that he'll be having them for a late-night snack since South Park starts again tonight :)
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment