Sunday, September 23, 2012

Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps

This recipe speaks for itself... it's relatively healthy, looks delicious, takes little time to make, and tastes amazing! I used leftover chicken, but you can substitute in any meat. This ones originally from mel's kitchen cafe.


Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps
Makes 4-6 wraps

1 C cooked rice
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic salt

1 C chicken, cooked and shredded (or other leftover meat)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 green onion, finely sliced
1/2 red or green pepper, diced
1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped (I used way more than this because I LOVE cilantro; see Chicken Salad recipe for tips on chopping herbs)
juice of 1 lime
2 C shredded cheese
6 flour tortillas (I used smallish ones because they're easier to handle; this'll make more wraps, too)
cooking spray or olive oil
sour cream (optional, I served them with plain yogurt on the side instead)
limes for garnish

1. Mix rice together with chili powder, cumin, and garlic salt.*
2. Add chicken, beans, onion, pepper, cilantro, and lime juice.
3. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving a border around edges, then arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla.
4. Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges slightly open. Spray the seams lightly with cooking spray (I brushed with olive oil instead).
5. Slightly flatten wraps with palm of hand.
6. Heat non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat for 1 minute. Arrange wraps, seam-side down, in pan and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side (I did them a couple at a time and only about 1-2 minutes on each side). Seams should seal somewhat since you oiled them.
7. Transfer to plate and serve warm.

*A word about the rice: I cooked it Persian-style (long-grain rice in boiling slightly salted water until almost done,  drain, lightly cover bottom of pan in oil, put rice back in gently, wrap lid of pan in small tea towel, cover pan and cook on low heat for awhile until fully cooked; Mom, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) then added all the spices.  This made the most delicious Spanish-style rice I have ever tasted! I ate a bunch of it plain while I was cooking :)

I served these wraps with TONS of limes, plain yogurt, and sliced ripe avocado on the side :) We couldn't stop eating them! Hope you enjoy them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment