Sunday, September 23, 2012

Bourbon Street Chicken

I just made this one last night and served it with the Rustic Twice-Baked Potato Casserole.  I didn't make rice with it, but next time I probably will, either that or make some sort of pasta or something.  I served it with plain yogurt and applesauce on the side :) This one I found on BigOven.com. It's perfectly sweet (which I'm usually not a fan of) AND spicy, so it was a good balance for me :) Also, weird, but there's no actual bourbon in this version.

Bourbon Street Chicken

Bourbon Street Chicken
Makes 4 servings

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size bits
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed (I used 2 because we love garlic)
1/4 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 C apple juice
1/3 C light brown sugar
2 tbsp ketchup (with some Sriracha sauce mixed in, maybe about a tsp if you like it hot!)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 C water
1/2 C soy sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch (if thick sauce is desired)

1. Heat oil in large skillet and add chicken pieces; cook until lightly browned.
2. Remove chicken from skillet. Add remaining ingredients into skillet, heating over medium heat until well blended and dissolved.
3. Add chicken back in and bring to a hard boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or so, uncovered.
5. Serve over hot rice.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment