Friday, September 21, 2012

Roast Cod with Garlic Butter

I just made this one for dinner tonight... the cod was delicious, but the garlic butter was INCREDIBLE. I'll be putting it on all kinds of things now, seafood and otherwise!  This recipe is super quick; I'm notorious for taking forever to prepare a meal and this took me under half an hour. I served this with baked sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli :) (This one's originally from Coastal Living.)

photo credit: Becky Luigart-Stayner

Roast Cod with Garlic Butter
Makes 4 servings

1/4 C unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
2 tsp minced shallots (green onions)
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbsp minced prosciutto di Parma
1 tbsp almond, rice, or all-purpose flour (I used all-purpose)
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
salt, to taste
freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tbsp canola oil
4 skinless cod fillets (I made only 2, but I still made a lot of the butter :))
lemon wedges for garnish

1. Stir together first 10 ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wide, deep, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper and cook 4 minutes. Turn fillets over and cook 1 more minute.
3. Spoon 1 tbsp butter mixture over top of each fillet and transfer skillet to oven.  Bake at 450°F for 2 minutes or until fish is just cooked through and opaque in center. (I don't have cookware that's ovenproof to 450°, so I ended up transferring the fillets to a small casserole dish for this step.)
4. Add remaining butter to pan (or casserole dish) and let melt, stirring with juices in pan.  Spoon over fish and garnish. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Did your cod have a lot of flavor (besides the deliciousness of the garlic butter?) I've made cod twice and it tasted like nothing. Literally.

    What's prosciutto de Parma?

    Also, I'm trying this on chicken! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cod had some flavor, but it wasn't anything like salmon or tilapia... maybe it was a little boring. But the garlic butter would be terrific on ANYTHING I think... chicken included :) Prosciutto di Parma is like a REALLY thinly cut ham that's a little dehydrated... sometimes they wrap it around a piece of fruit or parmesan cheese as an appetizer. I had to ask at the store where to find it, but I think it was with the gourmet cheeses and stuff. It's not the tastiest in my opinion, but it gives good flavor to the garlic butter :) It's super expensive, too :(

      Delete