Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Mom's Corn Chowder

My mom told me about this recipe she made the other night, so I decided to give it a try.  She's a VERY creative cook and she just came up with this herself; she told me she sort of combined a few recipes to make it.  It's delicious on a cool Fall evening and easy enough even for me to make :)

Mom's Corn Chowder
Makes 3-4 big bowls

1 onion, chopped small
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
4 celery stalks, chopped small
2-3 ears of corn, with corn cut off the cob
1/2 - 3/4 stick of butter, cut into a few chunks
2 cans chicken broth (I used 1 can chicken and 1 can vegetable; real stock would be better :))
1-2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
salt and pepper to taste (I added no salt, but tons of black pepper)
1 C milk
1 tbsp flour

1. Combine onion, garlic, celery, and corn in casserole dish.  Top with butter and cover.
2. Microwave for 5 minutes, remove and stir. Repeat twice more (for a total of 15 minutes cooking time).
3. In the meantime, combine broth and potatoes in large pot. Cook/boil until potatoes are cooked through, 15-20 minutes or so.
4. Add cooked corn mixture to broth mixture and season as desired. Taste to see that everything's cooked the desired amount. If not, simmer for awhile longer.
5. Whisk together milk and flour. Add to chowder, stir, and simmer for a couple of minutes until desired thickness is achieved.
6. Serve hot!

This recipe would be GREAT with some crusty bread... I served it with turkey sandwiches on wheat kaiser rolls because my man likes his meat :) A salad would've been great too!!! I wish I had a picture of this, hopefully next time I'll remember to snap one and share.  Mom, if you have anything to add or change, PLEASE comment!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, but I have to wait for the whether to cool down a little. It's still warm in Caly. enjoy azizam and thank you for your delicious recipes. <3<3
    Nazanin

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's delicious!!! I miss you :)

    ReplyDelete