Saturday, January 19, 2013

Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce

I found this recipe for gyros on The Girl Who Ate Everything... they were so delicious and you can adapt them however you want to with different herbs. She also has a link in the post to make your own pita bread (!), which sounds amazing! Overall, this one's really healthy... the worst part about it is the pita itself (try a wheat version, maybe?).


Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce

Tzatziki Sauce
1 C plain Greek yogurt
1 cucumber, peeled and grated (they say to squeeze the water out; I didn't do that part)
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
extra virgin olive oil

1. Mix together yogurt, cucumber, garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Whisk until well combined.
2. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Chicken
2 tsp garlic, minced
2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping tbsp plain Greek yogurt (I think I used a little more than that)
1 tbsp dried oregano
salt and pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1. Combine garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Whisk until mixed well.
2. Add chicken to bowl and mix to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
3. Cook chicken as desired (skillet, broiler, bake; I baked mine). When fully cooked, transfer to plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Cut into gyro-style strips (almost shaved-looking).

To assemble gyros:
pita bread
fresh tomatoes, diced (I used cherry tomatoes)
red onion, sliced thin
fresh cilantro, chopped

1. Heat pitas. Top with chicken, tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and salt to taste. Serve immediately.

These were such a huge hit! We had plenty of tzatziki, so we really heaped it on and dipped in it as well. The longer you let the sauce flavors meld and the chicken marinate, the better, so that's something that can be done the day before. Then you just throw the chicken in the oven (I did it at 350°F) for 40 minutes or so and you have an easy, quick, and healthy dinner! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I made these tonight. Oh-my-goodness! I'm pretty sure I could eat them all Summer long. Also, the tzatziki can totally replace humus for dipping bread! Also, Jason - who LOVED them - said, "I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've eaten tzatziki. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've even said tzatziki." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! JBird is a crack-up :) So glad you liked them!!!

    ReplyDelete