Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas

These vegetable enchiladas were THE BEST! And they're so healthy, too... even the enchilada sauce is homemade! It's super easy, but does require a little bit of time and chopping :) Also, I've pretty much decided that whatever amount of cumin a recipe calls for, I decrease it by more than half. Cumin is good, but the flavor and aroma is so overpowering to me that it's all I can taste, even if there's just a tiny bit in the recipe. So I've listed exactly what the recipe calls for, but then I put in parentheses how much I actually used (and they came out delicious with the reduced cumin). This recipe's from the blog, The Garden Grazer.


Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
Makes about 8

Sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 C tomato paste
1/4 C all purpose flour
2 tsp cumin (I used about 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
3 C vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste

1. In saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute, whisking.
2. Whisk in broth and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes (I simmered it a few minutes longer).
4. Salt and pepper to taste. set aside.

Enchiladas
olive oil
6 oz fresh spinach
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed.
3 C shredded cheese (a blend is nice, but any favorite will do)
1 1/2 C corn
6 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp cumin (again, I used about 1/2 tsp and it was PLENTY)
1/3 C fresh cilantro, chopped
8 whole wheat or flour tortillas (even corn would probably be good; I used flour)

1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. In skillet, quick sauté the spinach in olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, just until slightly wilted.
3. In large bowl, combine beans, 2 C cheese, spinach, corn (I totally forgot to add this), green onions, cumin, and cilantro.
4. Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish and pour a small amount of sauce in to coat the bottom.
5. Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll them tightly with ends tucked in, and place them seam-side down in dish.
6. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1 C cheese on top.
7. Bake about 20 minutes (I did a little longer to brown the cheese a bit) and garnish with cilantro and/or green onions.

I was also thinking black olives may be a nice addition, inside the enchiladas and/or as a garnish! We had some of these left over as well, and I just heated them in the oven the next day and added more green onions and cilantro to the tops and they were superb :) Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment