Sunday, February 10, 2013

Baked Chicken Fajitas

These fajitas are so delicious and HEALTHY!!! The worst part about them is the tortillas, and if you use wheat (which we didn't), you're good to go.  Also, there's a recipe for homemade tortillas I'm going to try very soon, so I'll let you know how that goes :) Anyway, I got this recipe from Six Sisters' blog, and it was one of the quickest and easiest dinners I've made; the prep took about 15 minutes and it baked in about 25!


Baked Chicken Fajitas
Serves 4-6

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips (about 2 breasts)
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes (I just chopped up 3 or 4 fresh tomatoes)
1 4-oz can diced green chilies (I chopped up 1 or 2 jalapenos that I had frozen from the farmer's market)
1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin (I used about 1/2 tsp and it was still too much for my taste, so I'd cut back)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
12 flour tortillas, warmed to serve

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2. Mix together chicken, tomatoes, chilies, peppers, and onions in the dish.
3. In a small bowl, combine the oil and spices. Drizzle mixture over chicken and toss well to coat.
4. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.

Serve with warm tortillas, lemon wedges, plain yogurt, avocado slices, and a shaker of salt!!! (And if you're Roya, a HUGE Patron margarita!) Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Jul!!!!

    First of all, I'm SO honored you put me into your blog - even if it is to reveal my tequila alcoholism!!! :)

    Second of all, I absolutely DO check your blog constantly. Really. All the time. Even though I never cook anymore, I still read your blog and dream of cooking what your cooking, and picture you cooking in your kitchen and it makes me feel warm and homey and excited for the day when I can be more like you!!

    Third, bless your pea pickin' domestic heart, I would NEVER call something that required cutting meat (raw or cooked, but especially raw) quick or easy!!! :) But I DO want to try these...someday post M.A....!! :)

    Love you!!
    Roy


    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Schwest,

    Yeah, I figured the meat-cutting thing might be a turn-off for you... sorry :( When you come here, I'll make it for you, how 'bout that? Thanks for your compliments... I hope you're NEVER like me and ALWAYS, FOREVER exactly like yourself in every way. YOU are the cat's pajamas, in my eyes :) And I love you :)

    Love,
    Jul

    ReplyDelete